Beat the Winter Blues
February 2, 2019
Beat the Winter Blues
The winter blues, seasonal depression, Seasonal Affective Disorder. These all refer to the period of time between the end of the holidays through springtime and can affect people of all ages. This typically occurs when the hustle and excitement of the holidays come to a screeching halt and we are left with a long, cold winter ahead of us. Less sunlight and lighter schedules can cause a drop in your mood and your energy. While the winter blues are extremely common, here are a few ways to help you beat them and even enjoy these chilly months!
- Go Outside - Tough as it may be, resist the urge to shut yourself in and hibernate. Our bodies are naturally dispositioned to need vitamin D from sunlight to function properly and to balance out our mood and energy. Make it a point to go outside for some fresh air and to soak in the natural light.
- Keep Social - Many of us are left feeling melancholy after the rush of the holidays and time spent with loved ones comes to an end. Just because the holidays have passed doesn't mean you have to stop seeing family and friends.
- Practice Self-Care - While it is common to feel lethargic during this time of year, make sure to take excellent care of yourself! This includes exercising regularly, eating a well-balanced diet, properly dressing for the bitter temperatures, and getting enough sleep!
- Find a New Hobby - Dedicate time to discovering new passions and perfecting them. Start that blog, read new books, cook something new, take up knitting, use those old photos for scrapbooking, or even learn a new skill. You may be surprised at what you learn from taking up a new hobby!
- Get Organized - You don’t need to wait until spring to get started on a home clean-out! Try to start with your clothing items to see what you’d like to keep and what you can part with to re-sell or donate. You’ll feel much better in the springtime knowing that you got the cleaning out of the way!
- Make Plans for the Warmer Weather - If the winter blues got you down because of a lack of fun things to fill out your time, try to plan ahead! This is a great time to plan out fun things you can look forward to when the warm weather returns.
Ask Us Anything
If at any point you're wondering whether or not you're covered for a particular event, please contact us and one of our experienced representatives will reach out to put your mind at ease.