Anchors Aweigh! It's Boating Season
April 30, 2019
We are right around the corner from the boating season! Before breaking out your motorboat, sailboat, or other watercraft, it is important to make sure that you and your family know how to stay safe on the water. See below for our safe boating tips and think of us for your boat insurance.
Safe Boating Tips
- According to the US Coast Guard, 90% of victims who drown were not wearing a life jacket. Make sure to wear your life jacket every time you're on the water.
- Know the nautical rules of the road and maintain a proper lookout and safe speed.
- Stay sober - operating a boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs is illegal in all states and increases the likelihood of death by 10 times.
- Be aware of carbon monoxide - early symptoms of CO poisoning include irritated eyes, headache, nausea, weakness, and dizziness.
- If you're in doubt about your boating awareness, consider taking a safe boating course.
- Lastly, get a free Vessel Safety Check (VSC) from The Coast Guard Auxiliary and United States Power Squadrons.
Source: Safe Boating Council
It is also important to double-check your insurance coverage before breaking out your watercraft. In addition to the traditional policy coverages, Bay Area Insurance also offers extended policy benefits such as consequential damages and Umbrella liability limits. Contact us to review our Boat Insurance coverage options and we will find a policy that fits your specific needs.