Having a Hazard-Free Holiday
July 2, 2019
Firework Safety Tips
Almost everyone looks forward to the firework displays on Independence Day, but not everyone knows the dangers that come along with them. In fact, about 12,900 people were injured badly enough to require medical treatment from firework-related incidents in 2017 alone.
Reduce the risks associated with fireworks before handling any this 4th of July with these safety tips from the National Safety Council:
- Never use fireworks when under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks; older children should only use them under adult supervision
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear
- Never light fireworks indoors
- Keep them away from people and flammable materials
- Only light one firework at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting
- Never ignite devices in a container
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks
- Soak unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don't go off or in case of fire
Nothing is more important than the safety of you and your family. Please don't hesitate to reach out to Bay Area Insurance if you ever have any questions or concerns about your insurance coverage. Have a safe and happy Independence Day!