Tips for Preventing House Fires
October 15, 2019
Fire safety preparation can be the difference between tragedy and a safe escape.
Check out the safety tips below to learn how to protect your family and your home.
Have an Escape Plan
- Create a home evacuation plan and go over the plan thoroughly with everyone in the home.
- Know two ways out of every room in the house.
- Check that all windows and doors open easily.
- Decide on an outside location where everyone should meet, in the event of a fire.
- Teach your children how to escape on their own.
- Practice your escape plan at least once a year.
Cooking & Heating Safety in Your Home
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop.
- When using the oven, check on food regularly.
- Always turn the oven off when you leave the house.
- Smother a grease fire - do not try to put the fire out with water.
- Never use an oven to heat your home.
- Keep objects at least three feet away from heating equipment.
- Have chimneys cleaned and inspected by a professional once a year.
- Remember to turn off portable heaters before going to bed or leaving the house.
Fire Safety Equipment
- Having working smoke alarms in the home is critical when a fire strikes your home.
- Install fire alarms in every bedroom, outside all sleeping areas, and on every level of your home.
- Smoke alarms should be installed on the ceiling or high up on the wall.
- Test all smoke alarms at least once a month.
- People with hearing impairments should use special alarms designed with strobe lights or bed shakers.
- Consider investing in a home sprinkler system. Sprinkler systems can save lives and reduce fire damage to the home.
- Sprinkler systems can reduce your insurance premium.
- Be sure to have a working fire extinguisher in your home and learn the proper way to use it.
Get Protected with the Right Insurance Policy
Don't go unprotected - make sure you are covered in the event of a fire. For most people, a home represents one of the biggest financial and emotional investments they will make. Protect your investment with the right property insurance policy to insure your home from damages caused by fire.
Contact us to find the right policy for you.