The Importance of Return to Work Policies
November 6, 2019
Studies show that a well-constructed Return to Work Policy reduces lost time days, allows workers to recover more quickly and makes for a more positive work environment.
What is A Return to Work Policy?
Return to Work policies ensure meaningful work activity for employees who are temporarily unable to perform all, or portions, of their regular work assignments, whether the injury/illness was work or non-work related.
Return to Work Tasks May Include:
- Changed duties within the scope of the employee’s current position
- Other available jobs for which the employee qualifies, outside of the scope of his or her current position
- An altered schedule of work hours
There are 2 Types of Return to Work Duties:
- Transitional duty is a therapeutic tool used to accelerate an injured employee’s return to work by addressing the physical, emotional, attitudinal and environmental factors that otherwise inhibit a prompt return to work.
- Alternate duty is designed as a placement service for individuals who have reached maximum medical improvement (MMI) and are still unable to perform the essential functions of their pre-injury jobs.
Build Your Return to Work Policy Today
As an employer, you want your sick and injured employees to get healthy as soon as possible. With a Return to Work policy, your employees can have a clearer path to transitioning back to full-time work after taking a leave, whether or not the injury was work-related.
Contact Bay Area Insurance to get started on your businesses Return to Work policy today.